Within the blogging world are ‘Blogger Awards’ awarded by fellow bloggers as they wish to know more about you.
This is because with most of these awards the person nominating you gets to ask you any questions they would like you to answer to get a better insight into who you are.
“I enjoy receiving these awards as it gives me a chance to open up and let my readers see more of the person I am away from my keypad.”
– Helen’s Journey
I was recently nominated for the ‘Liebster Award 2018’ by Terez Erickson from her blog ‘Inspire Me’ – we connected via Facebook blogger groups. (Click on her name to go and read her post in which she nominated me)
The Liebster Award was created by The Global Aussie in 2011 and is given to a favored blogger by another blogger as an expression of endearment and appreciation. Liebster in German means:’ sweetest, kindest, nicest, dearest, beloved, lovely, kind, pleasant, valued, cute, endearing, and welcome’. I know right, what a lovely list of attributes to have someone nominate you for representing!
11 Questions to get to know the person behind Helen’s Journey better!
Here are my answers to the 11 questions Terez asked me all about myself:
1. When you were a kid what did you want to be when you grew up?
When I was a kid I didn’t have a dream job in mind like most such as a teacher or a nurse etc. My natural yearning was to be a mother and have children to look after. At first it was my dolls but then when I was 6 my mom gave birth to my little brother. How chuffed was I to have my own live doll to look after! lol. I help my mom do everything with him – bath, bottles, nappies, the works. I literally carried him around with me EVERYWHERE!!! (fond memories)
2. What three adjectives best describe your personality?
Caring, Compassionate & creative! (It was a toss-up between compassionate and crazy to be honest!)
3. What was a fear you conquered?
When I was younger it was doing the hardest black runs when skiing. Being at the top and peering over the edge when it looks so steep and actually pushing yourself over the edge, setting off into the unknown… was a bit scary lol!
4. If you were a Looney Tunes character which would you be?
Tweedy Pie – fluttering my eyelashes but behind the blue eyes I have a cheeky side 😉
5. What is something that you never told anyone about you?
Erm… I don’t think I’ve told you all how much I love fancy dress? I’ve been to fancy dress parties as: Cher, Lady Gaga, Snow White, representing India in a sari at a Countries from around the world theme party, A school girl, fame… told you I love it! haha! But hey my drama degree runs in my veins, I can’t help enjoying playing different characters & being in role 😉
6. What makes you smile every time you think about it?
My late Grandad Mac ❤ Thinking of him just warms my heart & makes me smile! Did you read the poem I wrote about him? It captures his essence to a T! (Click HERE to read it)
7. What is your greatest strength and greatest weakness?
I think they are the same thing – my kindness! If you need help & I can help you I will. But certain people in my past have taken my kindness for weakness as I find it hard to not help you when you ask for it , even if you have done me a wrong or not treated me nicely.
I had to find the balance between Christian duty to help and the right not to be used and having the ability to say no without guilt. I mastered this in September 2017 & had a healthy cut of the unhealthy people in my life – Thank the Lord I finally did, as 1 month later in October 2017 I started blogging!!
8. If you could live one day of your life over which would it be and why?
Maybe the day I graduated. Not because it was the best day ever or anything so I’d love to experience it again, but to do my photographs again as I don’t like them. Sounds vain, but it’s because I was suffering from Post Viral Fatigue after the mumps which started my whole health demise saga.
I look so tired, drained and basically ill on the photos. After using all my energy on the long day of standing in ques and sitting for so long as all the names were called out – I was exhausted! So much so, I didn’t even smile properly on my photos let alone smile with the pride I feet for completing the 3 years it took to get it.
I’m so proud of my 2:1 Bachelor of the Arts Degree because of the hard work & commitment it took to get it – but I really don’t feel like that this isn’t captured in my graduation photos! Haha *cue us all singing the song “You’re so vain” like were on stage with Carly Simon & Taylor Swift ;-)*
9. What quality do you like most in other people?
A kind heart. You know when you speak nicely to waiting staff, you speak respectfully to people who are doing jobs to help like dustbin collectors, cleaners etc. A heart that, even if they say no when a homeless person asks for money that they say it with a warm smile and not a look of disgust. Those things I was taught growing up and I still hold as important things to do as an adult and for others who may be watching too.
I remember coming out a shop with my nephew and a homeless person was sitting on the floor. So I smiled at them and said hello, asked them if they would like a pack of some of the crisps we had just brought and handed them over. After they said thank you and I said “no problem, take care, bye” my nephew who was about 4 at the time joined in as we walked away and said “bye” to them too – it warmed my heart! ❤
10. Would you rather be breathtakingly beautiful, charmingly witty, or angelically good?
Charmingly witty! Looks fade, I wouldn’t be able to drink any cocktails if I was angelically good. But my humour that brings me smiles and laughs daily – even if I’m laughing at myself 😉
Here are my 11 Questions for my nominees: (I think they will make you realise why I was considering ‘crazy’ as an adjective to describe myself)
- One of my favourite UK Garage tunes has the lyrics “I’ll bring you flowers in the pouring rain” (click on the lyrics to open up the song in a new window to have a sing-song ;-)) Which type of flower that represents you, would you choose to bring me on a rainy day and why?
- Tell us about your most treasured item in life!
- If blogs had to have a theme tune that played every time people came onto your website – which song would you choose?
- If you were limited to only reading one genre of blogs, what would you choose? (ie: lifestyle blogs / beauty blogs / fashion blogs / food blogs, etc)
- If you had to choose a holiday destination that best summed up your blog, where would it be and why?
- Who or what inspired you to start a blog?
- If you had to only watch the same programme over and over again in life – what would you choose?
- Choose three words to describe yourself – one word for reflecting your mind, one reflecting your body and one reflecting your soul!
- If you had to make a personalised cocktail for your blog, what would you call it and what would be its ingredients?
- if in the end times, the big brother style government limited you to using only one social media app – which one would you choose to keep and why?
- I’m currently growing my hair for The Princess Trust charity that uses hair donations to make wigs for children with hair loss from cancer. What’s the best thing you’ve ever done for charity? Or would love to do for charity in the future?
The bloggers I am nominating for this award are some new or new’ish’ bloggers to get their blogs seen by a wider audience. Some others aren’t new bloggers but ones I wanted to know more about through them answering my questions:
Still want to know more about the lady behind the words?
Then why not read my other award nomination blogs where I’m asked more questions & have to list 3 things about myself to share with readers (click on each award to open blog post in a new tab):
Helen’s Journey wins The Mystery Blogger Award #1
Helen’s Journey wins The Sunshine Blogger Award #1
To keep up to date on new posts by Helen’s Journey, here are ways you can follow my journey by blog & social media: