Remember the ‘Reason for the Season’
The big day is finally here; CHRISTMAS DAY! Today’s chosen image is 1 from my childhood Church. As you can see I perfectly positioned the camera to get the altar & cross wall hanging in the photo along with the Christmas Tree. For me, it is the perfect reminder of the reason we even celebrate Christmas! Although not the official date of Jesus’ birth (Yeshua (ישוע) in original Hebrew text) and also pagan origins of using evergreen fir trees that aren’t linked to this – it is what Christmas Time and the symbol of a Christmas Tree has meant for the generations of people alive today.
As I look at it, I see the Christmas tree representing the commercial side of Christmas, the presents, the tv toy commercials etc. Yet, I also see it as a communal point:
- Where people gather around, as well as presents.
- Families going out and choosing their tree together.
- A group of people all decorating a tree together as a joint experience.
- Children gathered underneath the tree on Christmas morning ripping open their presents.
Then in stark contrast in the distance you will see the beautiful and majestic altar and cross wall hanging. The cross representing the reason we even celebrate Christmas today – as Christmas is the start of the story with Jesus being born and the cross where he died representing the very act in which he was born to do.
I see the two being placed close together as a reminder to still put Jesus into Christmas;
- The many children dressing up and reenacting the nativity story in their school plays.
- Saying or writing CHRISTmas not Xmas which was designed to cross Christ out of Christmas, which is ironic as in the end it’s all about a cross anyways lol.
- Choosing Christian Christmas Cards that have pictures of the nativity story on such as the stable, wise men, shepherds, angels, the star, pregnant mary on the donkey etc.
- Going to Church on Christmas morning or midnight Mass on Christmas Eve night.
Even if you don’t identify as being a Christian, remembering the reason for the season is for you also. For, if you believe it’s only a story then what an inspiring story to acknowledge and remember!
- It is full of hope, wonder and amazement.
- It has got community spirit from the shepherds.
- Astrology and present giving from the wise men.
- Spiritual support from angels and the spiritual realm.
- A love so strong that Joseph sticks around to marry and look after Mary even though she’s pregnant & he didn’t take part in physically making it with Mary.
- Strangers helping strangers in need out with stay in a free stable.
- The hopes and dreams of all this baby would grow up to be and the responsibility on his shoulders from birth because of his fate to come….
What a story to remember this Christmas time! So please join me in remembering THE REASON FOR THE SEASON!
Click here for the whole CHRISTMAS REFLECTIONS COLLECTION to have a quick read of them & they are all relevant to make this the BEST CHRISTMAS DAY ever, with perspective, clarity and a joyful heart! Or see below for a list of all my short reflections & click on the title you’d like to read:
- “DON’T GET YOUR TINSEL IN A TANGLE“
- “PRESENCE over PRESENTS“
- “LIFE is FRAGILE like a Christmas Ornament”
- “Trying to stay STABLE while we celebrate the Stable”
- “Even Sand can STAND, when it is designed to fall!”
- “Remember the small stuff”
- “Keep OLD Traditions but don’t forget to make NEW ones!”
- ‘Christmas Cheer’ A Christmas Acrostic Poem encapsulating the Christmas Season.
Here is my ‘CHRISTMAS and NEW YEAR’ board on Pinterest you are welcome to follow:
ENJOY READING HELEN’S JOURNEY POSTS AND POEMS? Then join the Mailing List, follow on Social Media!
Don’t miss out when new stuff is posted –Please click here to join my Email Mailing List to receive an email notification when a new blog is posted!
Why not come & follow my blogging footsteps on other Social Media Platforms (click on names to take you to the different media profiles):